The Creed of the Two Raazee Imaams:
Aboo Zur’ah (d. 264 H.) and Aboo Haatim (d. 277 H.)
This is the creed of the two Raazee Imaams: Aboo Zur’ah (d. 264 H.) and Aboo Haatim (d. 277 H.) may Allaah have mercy upon them both; transmitted by Imaam Ibn Aboo Haatim Ar-Raazee (d. 327 H.) may Allaah have mercy upon him.
Text of the ‘Aqeedah: ‘Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Aboo Haatim said: “I asked my father and Aboo Zur’ah about the schools of Ahlus-Sunnah in the foundations of the religion and that which they found the scholars in every region to be upon and what they held from that? They said:
“We have reached the scholars in all the various regions; the Arabian Peninsula, ‘Iraaq, Egypt, Shaam, and Yemen. From their way is that:
- Eemaan is statement and action; it increases and decreases.
- The Qur’aan is the Speech of Allaah; it is not created in any way.
- The Divine Decree, its good and its evil, is from Allaah the Mighty and Majestic.
- The best of this Ummah after its Prophet is Aboo Bakr As-Siddeeq, then ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattaab, then ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan, then ‘Alee ibn Abee Taalib; may Allaah be pleased with them. They are the rightly guided Khulafaa’.
- And that the ten who Allaah’s Messenger named and bore witness for them with (entering) Paradise; we bear witness to what he bore witness to, and his statement is the truth.
- Beseeching for mercy upon all of the Companions of Muhammad .
- Being silent concerning what occurred between them.
- That Allaah the Mighty and Majestic is above His Throne, distinct from His creation; just as He has described Himself in His Book and upon the tongue of His Messenger without asking how. He has encompassed all things with His Knowledge: “There is nothing similar to Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.” (Ash-Shoorah 42:11)
- That Allaah, the Blessed and Exalted, will be seen in the Hereafter. The people of Paradise will see Him with their eyes and they will hear His Speech how He wills and in a manner he wills.
- Paradise and the Fire are true. They are created and they will never perish. Paradise is the reward for His friends and the Fire is the punishment for the people of disobedience; except he whom Allaah shows mercy.
- The bridge is true.
- The scale which has two hands; upon it the actions of the slaves are weighed, the good of them and the evil of them, is true.
- The Pool with which our Prophet has been honored is true.
- The Intercession is true.
- That the people from Ahlut-Tawheed (the true Monotheists) will exit the fire due to the intercession is true.
- The Punishment of the grave is true.
- Munkar and Nakir are true.
- The Noble Scribe angels are true.
- The resurrection after death is true.
- The people who commit major sins are under the will of Allaah the Mighty and Majestic.
- We do not excommunicate the people of the Qiblah (i.e. Muslims) due to their sins; and we entrust their secret affairs to Allaah the Mighty and Majestic.
- We maintain the obligation of Jihaad and the Hajj along with the leaders of the Muslims in every era and time. We do not see (the permissibility) of rebellion against the leaders, nor fighting in times of Fitnah. We hear and obey he who Allaah has placed in charge of our affair and we do not remove the hand from obedience (to the ruler). That Jihaad is ongoing since Allaah sent His Prophet up until the establishment of the hour with those who are in charge of the affairs from the leaders of the Muslims; nothing nullifies it. Likewise is the Hajj, payment of the charity from the livestock to those in charge of the affair from the leaders of the Muslims.
- We follow the Sunnah and the Jamaa’ah and we avoid deviating, splitting, and differing.
- The people are believers with regard to their rulings and inheritances; one does not know their state with Allaah. So whoever says that he is a believer in truth, then he is an innovator. Whoever says that he is a believer in the sight of Allaah then he is from the liars. Whoever says: “I am a believer in Allaah.” The he is correct.
- The Murji’ah are deviant innovators.
- The Qadariyyah are astray.
- The Jahmiyyah are disbelievers.
- As for the Raafidhah, they have rejected Al-Islaam.
- The Khawaarij are deviants.
- Whoever claims that the Qur’aan is created then he is a disbeliever in Allaah the magnificent, with a disbelief that takes his outside the fold of the religion. Whoever doubts in his disbelief from those who understand (the affair) then he is (likewise) a disbeliever.”
I heard my father saying: “The sign of the people of innovations is revilement of the people of narrations.”
Aboo Haatim said: “The sign of the people heretics is that they call Ahlus-Sunnah: Hashawiyyah (the worthless ones); they wish to falsify the narrations. The sign of the Jahmiyyah is that they call Ahlus-Sunnah: Mushabbihah (those who liken Allaah to his creation). The sign of the Qadariyyah is their calling Ahlus-Sunnah: Mujabbirah (those who say man is compelled to act and has no free will). The sign of the Murjiah is their calling Ahlus-Sunnah opposers and reductionists (people who say that Eemaan decreases). The sign of the Raafidhah is their calling Ahlus-Sunnah: Naasibah (people who hate the household of the Prophet . No name befits Ahlus-Sunnah except one name and it is impossible that (all of) these names can bring them together.”
I heard my father and Aboo Zur’ah commanding with Hijrah from the people of deviation and innovations and being very harsh in that; and repudiating compiling books of opinions in place of narrations.
We ask Allaah the magnificent to benefit us and the rest of the Muslims with it. And may abundant prayers and peace of Allaah be upon His Prophet, his companions and those who follow him until the day of Recompense.
Translated by Aboo Moosaa Raha ibn Donald Batts