Oh sister covered in Hijab – by Shaik Badr Ali Utaybee hafidahullaah
This is a poem by shaykh Badr Bin Ali Utaybee hafidahullaah,
taken from “20 pieces of advice to my sister before her marriage”
“Oh sister veiled in hijaab slacken your pace.
Walk upon the hearts of the jealous ones and cause them to tremble!
Move with nobility and pride whenever the eyes of the envious
are barred from glancing at your skin.
You are beauty in its goodness and perfection.
You are chastity in all its glory.
Don’t be decieved! Indeed veiling your face is from the sunnah
of that chosen Hashami Mesenger (sallallahu alyhi wa sallam)
Being veiled from sight is for you a sign of dignity;
be delighted and with it, spoil yourself.
Your veil is a protective armor from every dreadful assailing wolf.
This is our legislation, truly and justly
Just as it is our nature.
It has been established in verses of the Qur’an and
authentic hadiths, related by trustworthy narrators.
When you recite the book of your Lord then understand
that in (surah) an-Nur are ayaat concerning al-Hijaab.
So ponder His order to throw the khimar, that covers your head,
over your face and to let it drape over your sides from and back.
And understand the word (throw) to indicate the importance
of being keen to cover your face and body
and this is clear truth.
And you have been prohibited from throwing your legs about,
So let not the sounds of anklets entice the ears.
And also in (surah) al-Ahzaab are verses 53 and on,
In them is my Lord’s command to veil.
When they came asking the prophet’s wives or if you, Oh
sister are asked.
Because these verses even though they are for the prophets wives,
they are to be applied generally, due to what follows.
Because veiling is for the purification of the hearts which
so quickly fades the eyes when lined with kuhl.
And look to the conclusion of Al-Ameen and his understanding of the verse in
Adwaa’ul bayaan (1) and it is replete with benefits and also in this verse is an order
for you to bring your garment over you fully as to hide yourself and make yourself unrecognizable.
This book of Allaah Affirming that unveiling is
a foundation of evil that being (men) to trail.
And the best of creation says about you “she is auwra”(2)
referring to women so think!
And on the authority of ibn Mas’ood as related by at-Tirmidhee
and declared hasan saheeh with each narrator just and precise
from first to last.
And likewise al Bazzaar and ibn Khuzaymah and ibn al Adiyy
and Ali ad-Daraqutni (3)
Oh sister do not throw off the veil.
It is nobility for you and increase you in splendor,
As for those who encourage unveiling,
they only intend for you shame and belittlement.
And that you become like a mannequin in the hands,
a plaything, sold off for a petty price.
They seek that your picture is displayed in magazines
after you were once like a jewel, protected and safeguarded.
They want you to dance to music with them,
abandon your religion, and act like someone else.
And that the scum of mankind exchange,
between them and themselves, authority over you.
And use not acting as an excuse
Barking jackals, howling wolves,
there is no trust to be had in them.
Be warned from becoming the hunted, stalked down and eaten.
The “muck” of the art is belittling and embarressing,
be warned of falling, Oh sister into mud.
Don’t be amazed by the laughing of the mistresses of singning
and don’t be bedazzled by the sinful stars of cinema.
This cannot decieve your type!
By Allaah, their chests constrict due to their sins,
filled with anguish and regret.
They, with their worries and woes, live their lives in a sick state,
Only Allaah’s religion holds the cure.
Their chests are burnt by an open flame
that has set a blaze in its hollow.
With every day it burns stronger, more hot.
This is their intent; it decieves us not.
So do you, Oh sister, see as we see?
Do you understand whats being presented to thee?
Is dignity, that the Muslim wome relinquishes her hijaab?
Or that she fills with shame and disgrace?
Or is it decency if she is naked, uncovering her face,
wearing tight clothes and pants instead a modest overgarment?
Is chastity to sing the song of adulterers and fornicators,
when overtaken by passion la la lee?
Is fortitude to agree to burn along with those
that will roast in hell?
Or is it sound politics to appoint to office over the masses,
one pampered raised in petty amusement(4).
Those who make one from your gender in charge over their affairs will never attain success,
As authentically reported in the prophetic narration (5)
And it is just that she is given exactly as her husband in inheritance
and in rights of marriage and divorce ? (6)
Naturally she is not the same as a man
And in Islamic legislation she is below him
and is rightfully under his guardianship.
Oh our sisters, By Allaah this is her condition,
If you asked them: A modern woman
So do yourself well and stick to the shari’ah,
which if you hold firm to it,
your will not be misguided and will not go astray.
It is your fortress, your honour.
It is your covering,
your light in the darkeness of the nights
Your are exalted in sticking to the injunctions of your faith,
like a star by which the sky is fully of beauty.
May Allaah protect you and All who say
“Be rewarded with good Oh Bad bin Al-Ali
1) I intend here the shaikh of our scholars, Al- Allaamah Muhammad Al Ameen ash-Shanqetee, in his book Adwaa Al-bayaan (6/548). He mentioned that the strongest opinion is that this verse is general to all women.
2) Translator note: The auwra (private part) for the woman varies depending on who she is in front of. However, while in front of foreign men, who are not her husband, father ,grandfather, brother, son , uncle or nephew, she has to cover every part of her body according to the opinion of many of the people knowledge.
3) Narrated by at-Tirmidhee (4/337), Ibn khuzaymah in his saheeh (3/93-94), Al Bazzaar in his Musnad (5/427), ibn Adiyy in al Kaamil (3/424),ad- Daraqutni in al-I’lal (5/314), At-Tirmidhee declared it to be hasan saheed Gareeb and al Hafidh A’li bin Umar ad-Daraqutni graded it to be authentic.
4) Allaah, th Most High said about the female gender “(Like they then for Allaah) a creature who is brough up in adornments (wearing silk and gold ornaments, i.e. women), and who in dispute cannot make herself clear?”(surah az-Zukhruf:18) According to the scholars of tafsir, this verse refers to the weakness of the woman and her deficiency in expressing herself.
5) Collected by Al-Bukhari , based on this how can woman be given positions of great importance in a nation, such as the ruler of the country or military general?
6) A woman is not equal to man in inheritance or when dealing with marriage and divorce. All of this is not because of the deficiency in her, but it is from the completeness of a man’s authority and guardianship over her; he is her wali and he is responsible for her affairs. That is because in the Islamic legislation, females are not equal to males.