"Guidance is from Allah "
All praise is due to Allah, The Lord of all of the creation, and may the prayers and peace be upon our Messenger Muhammad:
Allah, The Most High, said in the Quraan: “Verily, you (Muhammad) guide not whom you like, but Allah guides whom He wills.” (Al-Qasas: 56). The great scholar of Tafseer (the science of explaining the Quraan), Ibn Katheer (2) (may Allah have mercy on him) said regarding this verse: “Allah the Most High is saying to His messenger, prayers and peace be upon him, ‘Indeed you guide not whom you like’, meaning it is not for you (i.e. Muhammad) to guide the people. But what is upon you (i.e. Muhammad) is to convey the message and Allah will guide whom He wills.” (3)
Also as it relates to the issue of guidance, Dr. Rabee bin Hadee (may Allah protect him) mentioned: “If Allah, The Most High, makes a person firm upon his religion and firm upon the correct belief, then this is a blessing from Allah, The Most High. So this person should not become arrogant, or boastful. Rather he should humble himself before Allah and be thankful to Allah, Lord of all of the creation, for that blessing of guidance so that Allah, The Most High, will protect his religion and distance him from any danger or deviation.
In addition to this, the person should not become relaxed. Allah, The Most High, said: ‘None feels secure from the Plan of Allah except the people who are the losers’ (Al-A’raf:99). Therefore we ask Allah every moment of our lives to make our hearts firm. The Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him) would constantly supplicate to Allah, The Most High, ‘O changer of the hearts, make my heart firm upon your religion’ (5). So ‘Aaisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: ’O Messenger of Allah, you constantly supplicate to Allah with this supplication’. So the Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him) said to ‘Aaisha: ‘Indeed the hearts of mankind are between two fingers from amongst the fingers of Allah, the Most High. If He chooses, He causes a person to go astray and if He chooses, He places a person firm upon guidance’ (6) / (7).”
We ask Allah, The Most High, to make our hearts firm upon His religion and to guide us to that which is pleasing to Him. And may the prayers and peace be upon our messenger Muhammad, his family and all of his companions.
Compiled and translated by:
Abu Saajid Syid Turcks
Umm al-Quraa University
Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Safar 29, 1431 / February 13, 2010
(1) CN: The scholars have explained that guidance is of two types. The first type is the guidance of the heart. There is none capable of guiding a person’s heart except Allah, The Most High. This is the type of guidance being referred to in this article. The second type is the guidance of clarification and directing to the straight path. This type of guidance is not restricted to Allah, The Most High. As Allah Mentioned in the Quraan: “And verily, you (Muhammad) are indeed guiding to a straight path” (As-Shooraa 52).
(2) He is the well known and respected Imaam Ismaaeel ibn Umar ibn Katheer. He is recognized throughout the Muslim world for his Explanation of the Quraan. From amongst his teachers were Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Taymeeyah (728H) and Al-Imaam Al-Haafith Ath-Thahabee (748H). Ibn Katheer died in the year 774H at the age of 73 years. May Allah have mercy on him.
(3) Prepared by a group of scholars under the supervision of Ash-Shaykh Safee Ar-Rahman Al-Mubaarakfooree. The Shining Light (Summarized version of Tafseer Ibn Katheer). Riyadh: Daar As-Salaam AH1421/2000 pg.1024
(4) Ash-Shaykh Rabee bin Haadee Al-Madkhalee is from the elder scholars currently residing in Makkah. He was the former department head for the College of Hadeeth studies at the Islamic University of Medina. He continues to benefit the students of knowledge by teaching classes on a weekly basis from the privacy of his own home. May Allah protect him.
(5) Reported by Abu Dawud on the authority of Anas. Authenticated by Ash-Shaykh Al-Albaanee hadeeth #2140.
(6) Also reported on Umm Salamah, and Anas. See Abu Dawud #3522. Authenticated by Ash-Shaykh Al-Albaanee
(7) Al-Madkhalee, Rabee bin Haadee. Firmness Upon the Sunnah. Cairo: Daar Al-Imam Ahmad AH1428/2007 pgs. 8-9
You are invited to join us in benefiting from the works of people of knowledge and the Inspiring Stories
To Subscribe to SALAM group (The Salaf as Saalih) email us at email@example.com
AbdurRahman Meda ( Salam Group and AbdurRahman.org admin)